[ic] Customer text input on item for engraving, how to do ?

Tue Oct 2 08:51:00 2001

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Anna-Lena Olofsson wrote:

AO>>a comments box on checkout.html can I make one for every item? if so that
AO>>may work.

I guess that you probably could, but that seems cumbersome and messy,
especially if your inventory is more than a few items.

I would recommend putting one text input box on the checkout page called
'Engraving Instructions'. Then the customer would write in there something
like:
Engrave the outside of the bracelet with 'ELH'
Engrave the inside of the bracelet with 'All My Love - Scotty'
Engrave the toaster with 'Ron's Kitchen'

(Multiple instructions for several items on the same order.)

(in ord/checkout.html)
<TR>
<TD>Engraving Instructions:&nbsp;</td>
<TD><TEXTAREA NAME="engraving" ROWS=10 COLS=40></TEXTAREA></TD>
</TR>

(in etc/report and etc/receipt.html)

        Engraving Instructions: [value engraving]

Placement is not critical. I have it right after the phone numbers.

It wouldn't hurt to also have a comments box on the order form. I tell them
that comments don't get answered. It's a great place for them to add any
sort of information: "Leave package by side door", "Don't require a
signature", "This store is awesome!", "The link for ABC is broken", etc.

My feeling is that the comments box gives the customer a better feeling of
the store being user-friendly, and that the management cares.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Tuesday, October 02, 2001 at 08:30 AM:
All words are pegs on which to hang ideas.

This Linux System has been up 182 hours