[ic] AuthorizeNet.pm missing fields

Tue Oct 2 17:39:01 2001

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Pann McCuaig wrote:

PM>>We who try to use this (very nice) package have to pick and choose what
PM>>we read.

I read the whole thing. For brevity, I've deleted most of it.

It's an excellent piece of work. One that will certainly guide a lot of
people during their quest to get on-line credit card processing done.

You've gone up several notches on my credability scale :-)

PM>>If you look at the store operated by Jim Balcom, a frequent contributor
PM>>to this list, you'll see an extensive store with lotsa features, but it
PM>>jumps right out at you that it's based on the construct demo.

I needed to change away from commerce.cgi. I had modified it about as much
as I could go without knowing Perl, and I needed zone-based shipment. I went
through a lot of money buying defective software.

In a previous life I was a computer programmer. In that life I would have
whaled away on software, and quite probably would have written my own
store. However, I backed into a business that is going great guns. I never
dreamed that selling diapers for adults would make money. But, it is! I need
to pay attention to my business! I don't have time to program computers
anymore.

My intent was to simply open a box, put the software on-line, add my
inventory and take orders. But, that's impossible unless I were to spend
multi-thousands of dollars on software. Or, to install Interchange.

In early 2001 I ran into an attitude on this list (or, so it seemed to me)
that those of us that were simply remodeling an existing store were to be
looked down on, and perhaps exorcised. "Real men build their own store from
scratch." That attitude on this list has changed. I haven't seen it in quite
some time. Now, there is a lot of discussion about modifying construct and
foundation and people are sharing their knowledge. In my mind the atmosphere
here now is lot different than it was last winter. Which I appreciate.

This list has been a valuable resource to me. I've grabbed a LOT of things
from this list that I have added to the store. The fact that it's obviously
a construct package doesn't bother me. I've not had time to make a drastic
change, although I continually make subtle ones.

I place a higher priority on ordering inventory, writing up sales, packing
and shipping. When I get a few minutes, I play with the store software.

But a year ago I learned that is dangerous. I was using frames and some nice
animations that I stole from Six Flags web page. I thought that it was pretty
fancy. I was told that people don't like frames. In September I ditched that
software and changed to using tables. Sales went up dramatically. My present
configuration is working and it's making me money. I'm reluctant to change
it very much. Besides, my customers don't know 'construct' from 'destruct'
:-)

So: for those of you reading this drivel, this far:
www.thediapersuperstore.com is living proof that you can rip open the box on
Interchange 4.6.2, install it, plug it in, and add your inventory and your
'store-in-a-box' is ready to go.

OTOH, it took me 6 months of hair pulling to make that paragraph happen.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Tuesday, October 02, 2001 at 17:15 PM:
A few cans short of a six pack, Six short.

This Linux System has been up 191 hours