[ic] Interchange with WN www-server

Thu Oct 4 09:21:01 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 12:50:35PM +0200, Bas Bezemer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to install the latest Interchange on a linux server running a
> WN www-server. I can't get it to work properly and I'm not sure if it is
> due to permission issues set by the provider or WN-related things.
>
> The installation of Interchange (execute configure) seems to be ok. And
> de interchange server runs as well. But from here on the problems start.
> First of all I must use the perl versions of tlink (tlink.pl) and vlink
> (vlink.pl), because I have no permission to run de binaries. Running the
> scripts calling from a browser returns a WN-server error message. If I
> call the script from the command line, like:
> ./tlink.cgi name1 name2
> An error message is returned saying:
> Unknown catalog: name2
>
> That's curious because this is a line that is generated by
> bin/interchange. So tlink and vlink are able to communicate with the
> interchange server but the catalogs can't be reached.

IC and WN play just fine together, though I'm not sure that makecat will.
Given the wild popularity of WN, I'd not investigate that.

We install it like this (where ic473 is the version):

tlink/vlink in /usr/cgi as /usr/cgi/ic473.cgi (versioned)

Then within a particular catalog, <catalog>.cgi is a symlink
to /usr/cgi/ic473.  We don't bother with cgi-bin construct.

tlink/vlink can be perl if you want.  I can't see why you would have
a problem running binaries if you built them.  Hmmm, maybe you are running
WN with suexec?  WN has a sample.cgi in the docs/examples.  Put that
in place of your vlink and it will dump your CGI environment and the
WN special variables.

cfm