[ic] Performance Load When Calling Fly Pages

Thu Oct 11 11:15:00 2001

Quoting Stefan Hornburg (Racke) (racke@linuxia.de):
> Christopher VanOosterhout <chris@torresen.com> writes:
>
> > In the Interchange documentation it talks about a small performance
> > increase by ending "page" tags with </a> instead of [/page]
> >
> > I am wondering if there is any performance difference at all in calling
> >
> > www.domain.com/cgi-bin/store/partnumber
> >
> > or
> >
> > www.domain.com/cgi-bin/store/partnumber.html
> >
> > ?
> >
> > Even if it is small ... this is such an easy adjustment in either
> > direction, I would like to take advantage of any possible performance gain
> > ... if applicable.
>
> If you real after performance, I suppose you can find more obvious
> bottlenecks in catalog code/database design.

This is true, but reducing HTML size can be a big gain.

Fact is, a significant number of people still use modems. One of Yahoo's
secrets of success is the small HTML size of their pages. Have you ever
looked at their site and its paths? Most everything is one and two letters,
and they avoid quoting HTML parameters wherever possible.

For Interchange, it has to stay connected long enough for the HTML
pipeline to finish between it and the browser. The smaller the page,
the shorter that connection.

So it is arguable that the biggest thing you can do for performance
is decrease the verbosity of your page, file, and path names.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Prove you aren't stupid.  Say NO to Passport.