[ic] Using mod_action to 'clean' urls

Corey Gilmore interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 10:57:02 2001

I was just rebuilding my webserver today (joy!) when I noticed the Action
directive in Apache.

This directive adds an action, which will activate cgi-script when
action-type is triggered by the request. The action-type can be either a
handler or a MIME content type. It sends the URL and file path of the
requested document using the standard CGI PATH_INFO and PATH_TRANSLATED
environment variables.

It seems that it should be possible just chose some arbitrary file suffix,
.icn for instance, and then set an action for parsing those files through
IC.  Instead of having .html files, you would have .icn files.

This means that you could avoid having the http://store/cgi-bin/blah/ type
urls, and avoid using the IC module.

Action	   interchanged-parsed /cgi-bin/ic.cgi
AddHandler interchange-parsed .icn