[ic] In Desperate need of a NEW HOST

Jason Jensen interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 18:57:00 2001

I know of a good hosting company that will TRY to resolve all IC problems
free of charge as long as it isn't clear cut your own fault. If you can't
get it working they will try to help you out. They are not IC professionals,
but they are helpful.

Jason Jensen
www.digitalomaha.net

----Original Message Follows----
From: Jim Balcom <jim@idk-enterprises.com>
To: <interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com>
Subject: RE: [ic] In Desperate need of a NEW HOST
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:40:22 -0400 (EDT)
>From interchange-users-admin@interchange.redhat.com Tue, 23 Oct 2001
15:39:49 -0700
Sender: interchange-users-admin@interchange.redhat.com

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Anton van de Plas wrote:

AvdP>>If an ISP provides "e-commerce" in its hosting package and uses
Interchange
AvdP>>to do so, they should be prepared for the "hosting" price (however low
that
AvdP>>is) to make sure that the program is running correctly, especially
features
AvdP>>as the PGP and payment gateway. Otherwise you are deceiving customers
and
AvdP>>giving the wonderful program of Interchange a bad name. I am not
talking
AvdP>>about configuring the store itself. Many ISP's like Korksoft offer
AvdP>>Interchange but it is not working properly or charge extra for e.g. to
setup
AvdP>>the PGP or gateway without mentioning this on their website when they
sell
AvdP>>the service to you.

If I am reading you right, it sounds like you are expecting the hoster to
provide a merchant account??? That is generally illegal and I was without a
merchant account for 3 years because I processed a charge card transaction
for a friend.

In my experience, most companies that are hosting web pages or providing
co-location services have a standard package, and anything outside of that
is an extra fee.

I host web pages at $15 per month. But if you want me to write the page, or
to correct your mistakes, you are going to have to pay me for my time.

I provide co-location services and will host your server. I'm renting you
physical space and a connection. If you need DNS service, then I need to be
paid to handle it. If you need help in making your server do something
(other than related to the connection) then you need to pay for my
consultation.

And, this is the way that everyone that I know is doing this.

When you are arranging for hosting or co-location, you need to make it clear
before you sign on as to what you are entitled to. If you are going to need
support on IC, or the IC Server, then you need to negotiate that into the
package. If you want them to take care of your domain name registration and
maintenance, then you need to negotiate that.

However, using someone elses SSL server; using someone elses Merchant
Account; using someone elses PGP setup is (in my mind) about like using
their toothbrush!

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Tuesday, October 23, 2001 at 18:25 PM:
Useless Invention: Waterproof toilet paper.