[ic] Shipping Method Popup

Mon Oct 29 17:58:01 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Henry Hartley wrote:

HH>>Using the Foundation Demo store, if you attempt to buy something and
HH>>proceed to check out, you are asked for shipping information.  If you
HH>>do not create an account (or log in with an existing account), the
HH>>Shipping Method popup list is not populated with any choices.  If you
HH>>fill out the form completely and submit it ("Place Order"), processing
HH>>is completed but no shipping charges are included (since you didn't
HH>>select a shipping method).  It seems that what happens is that when
HH>>the system tries to build the Shipping Method popup without knowing
HH>>the shipping location, it cannot since the system doesn't know what
HH>>methods or costs are available.
HH>>
HH>>Since many people (like me) seem to take the Foundation store and
HH>>modify it for actual use, it seems like something should be done.  I
HH>>don't really know Interchange well enough to know what the best path
HH>>would be.

I can't speak to Foundation since I haven't changed over yet. I am still on
Construct.

I am able to set a default shipping method, and the default country is set
as USA, which helps narrow things down.

I was running into some disgruntled users that were complaining about the
lack of shipping costs. This was due to the fact that the system didn't
know what zip code the order was going to. Once they put in a zip code, then
the shipping cost was calculated.

I ended this problem by forcing them to log in, or to set up an account
before the check out page displays. They would have to give me all of that
information as an anonymous user before I could ship anyways, and there is
nothing asked for in setting up the account that wasn't already being asked.

So, now, when the checkout page finally displays, the system already knows
their zip code, it has their default country and it has their preferred
shipping method, either by default or because they have entered in a choice.
Shipping costs are now displayed for them and the complaints went away.

The method of forcing them to log in was posted to this list probably about
2 months ago.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Monday, October 29, 2001 at 17:50 PM:
ERROR: ERROR: ERROR: ERROR: ERROR: {SMACK} C:\>

This Linux System has been up 80 hours