[ic] Shipping Method Popup

Henry Hartley interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 10:35:00 2001

>> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Jim Balcom wrote:
>>
>> I am able to set a default shipping method, and the default
>> country is set as USA, which helps narrow things down.
>>
>> I was running into some disgruntled users that were
>> complaining about the lack of shipping costs. This was due
>> to the fact that the system didn't know what zip code the
>> order was going to. Once they put in a zip code, then
>> the shipping cost was calculated.
>>
>> I ended this problem by forcing them to log in, or to set
>> up an account before the check out page displays. They
>> would have to give me all of that information as an
>> anonymous user before I could ship anyways, and there is
>> nothing asked for in setting up the account that wasn't
>> already being asked.
>>
>> So, now, when the checkout page finally displays, the
>> system already knows their zip code, it has their default
>> country and it has their preferred shipping method, either
>> by default or because they have entered in a choice.
>> Shipping costs are now displayed for them and the
>> complaints went away.

Yeah, that's the other option I considered.  I may end up
there anyway.  I wonder, since so many people seem to use
the demo store almost as-is or at any rate as a starting
point, should this sort of change be incorporated into it?
It would certainly be a boon to those of us just getting
into the system.

Who does that?

>> The method of forcing them to log in was posted to this
>> list probably about 2 months ago.

Sorry, I missed it.  I must not have searched on the
right phrase.

--
Henry Hartley