[ic] Making a new component

Bernino Lind interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 15:06:00 2001

Hello all,

In order to understand how something works one must disassemble and
reassemble it.

So thats just what Im doing right now with Interchange.

I have first of all done it with the links between templates, pages and
components - which ofcourse means learning some of the IC datastructure, icl
language, embedded Perl (neat!) and much much more.

Now I want to do a new component, called news, which gets its data from:

       sql="
                        SELECT sku,timed_promotion,start_date,finish_date
                        FROM
[either]__UI_MERCH_TABLE__[or]merchandising[/either]
                        WHERE featured = '[control news_type news]'
                        "][/query]

Where it must be said, that what I want is that I want to have the
possibility to create a story in the admin UI Items section, and click
Promotion and then tell the system that this is "News".

In this way I could get a content management system using the existing IC
infrastructure having news (stories) in the places I like them to be.

What I have done so far is to:

1. Create a component called news which is basically a copy of the existing
foundation component called promo:

[comment]
ui_component: news
ui_component_type: content, vertical
ui_component_group: news
ui_component_label: News

2. Do some changes in news component to refer to news_ instead of promo_

3. Add a promotion type called News=>news in the admin UI

4. Add a news code News=news in the news component

5. Edit via admin UI a page, and tell one component setting that it should
now be a "News"

6. Just to make sure: restart interchange

And it works (a sign of luck, good understanding or powers beyond).

Now is my question: will such personal messing around introduce any kind of
instability in interchange ?

Have anyone ever done something similar, and what are your experiences ?

--
med venlig hilsen / Best Regards
Bernino Lind +45 7021 0050