[ic] Very, Very slow check out - possible PGP problem

Wed Sep 12 08:57:50 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 cfm@maine.com wrote:

>>> You need to have a REALLY fast server. I have mine on a 1.2Ghz CPU with 512
>>> megs of RAM and there are still some delays, even over a LAN.
>>
>>That's very misleading.  Sure more RAM is better.
>>
>>It's my experience that performance is almost entirely architectural - the
>>architecture of your site, NOT the hardware; eg we get about the same
>>performance on a P75 as we do on a PIII whatever.  How you index the
>>data, what are the joins, what are the caches, how do you index it,
>>how do you build tables or do you build tables at all, caches again,
>>how do you massage your data, any one of those dwarfs (dwarves? nahhhh)
>>any performance issues in mv/ic itself.

I started out on a Pentium at 250. While it served the pages, I could take a
coffee break while each one came up. I moved it to a 400 mHz machine and the
speed improved, considerably. Giving it a 1.2GHz CPU and lots of RAM made a
dramatic improvement.
This was all done with a pretty much stock Construct demo.

>>> So much of IC is being done on the client side, rather than on the server.
>>> If the client side is on a slow machine with limited RAM, then constructing
>>> the pages will take a while.
>>
>>Hmmmmm?????  I guess I am out of date.

The client is receiving HTML code which it then has to process and interpret
and then display. The more complex the code, the lengthier the code, the
longer it will take to interpret and display. The speed of the client will
have a significant effect on this process.
With limited RAM, the client has to do a lot of swapping to the hard drive,
in and out, while it is getting the page ready to display. This also slows
down how fast the page will load on the client.

However, if the user is used to a very slow machine then this won't be a
significant factor.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Wednesday, September 12, 2001 at 08:45 AM:
Test-tube babies shouldn't throw stones.

This Linux System has been up 38 hours