[ic] Design issue: best way to use [tree] tag ?

Eduardo Dominguez interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 18:36:00 2001

I just upgraded to 4.8.1 from an early 4.6.

One of the features I have planned for my store was to use n-level
subcategories, just the functionality [tree] provides (correct me if
i am wrong).

Basically, I just want to be able to do is to use a structure like
the following (which tree tag already supports)

  Section1
    Subsection1-1
    Subsection1-2
  Section2
    Subsection2-1

To be able to do put a location bar:

   Home >> Section1 >> Subsection 1-1

and to display in the left menu just the items of the current
section (or subsection). For example, assuming i am under Section1, left
side menu will only display:

  Subsection1-1
  Subsection1-2

and location bar:
  Home >> Section1

Now the questions, has anyone done this before ?
Anyone have any suggestions or knows that this is not feasible ?
What DB is best to specify the [tree] parent son relationships ?
(currently using products)
Does the tree tag support the Layout Editor ? seems to me it can only
support one level of subcats.

thanks in advance