[ic] Frustrated with IC 4.8

Nick Robertshaw interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 08:12:00 2001

IC 4.8 is 'a stable program that works as intended'

It is representative of open source software generally in that:

* Documentation is terse, sometimes incomplete, and sometimes oriented to
the programmer or technically savvy reader

* Code and features are highly evolved

* Installation can be a bitch

* The user's investment is not in cash, but in the time taken to understand
how to install and configure the system (and initially in discovering how to
understand how to understand).

* Support comes from people who are not obliged to give it

You are, indeed, not the only one experiencing frustration. But there are
also many, many people who have succeeded at what you seem to be failing at.
The difference might be hardware or software but is more likely to be
expertise or persistence.

Some, no doubt, are more suited to shrink-wrapped packages from the Black
Prince of Redmond.

So, rather than venting and causing everyone to become pissed off or just
ignore you, try and deal with each of your problems by searching the
documentation, and the archives of this forum. Then perhaps, pose a
succinctly cast and specific question with sufficient details of your
configuration and environment and you might get a useful answer.

--
Nick Robertshaw

As the hectic pace of life rushes you along,
Remember to set aside a few minutes each day.
At the end of the year,
You'll have a couple of days saved up!