[ic] Frustrated with IC 4.8

IC-Admin interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 14:58:01 2001

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Sturgisrally.net wrote:

> There are a few problems with charging for this mailing list ...
>
> First off open source software if free because the original author wanted to
> share the wealth of knowlege with everyone and thought that the project
> could be made better with help of the world instead of the limitations of a
> single group.

What the heck. First, this project has not substantially become better
with the help of the world, no matter what Mike Heins may say. Luckily
he had enough paying customers in the early years to even bring the
package up to a level it was recognized by many. If there would have been
such wealth of knowledge around in the world, I would like to see it on
the list. Mostly I see a lot of questions from many and a lot of
(good) answers very few.

> RedHat Inc makes plenty of money selling their documentation on this
> program.  I for one bought all 4 books (Very Very Well Written) but there
> are still a few issues that are not covered.

So ? I just did the same. Ever heard of new editions, upgraded docs etc. ?
And who told you that Red Hat makes a lot of money by selling the
documentation of IC. I somehow doubt that, but may be somehow you
have the real insider knowledge.

> If you start charging for this board you will make it impossible for some to
> use the software.  Although most could afford a nominal fee there are a lot
> of people out there who cannot.

Why would it be impossible for someone to use the software, if you had to
pay a registration fee for this list, I ask you ?

If you are going into a public restroom in Germany, you have to pay
50 cents. So far, it has not prevented anybody from using them, when
needed. Unless you want to p** on the street in public places. Sorry,
for that. But I don't see any relationship between charging a subscription
fee for this list and not being able to use the software. Do you want
to tell me you can't afford a monthly fee in the range of a good meal
to get help from the IC developers ? I then ask myself for what are
you using the software ? If it's for your own business, you might
think to invest a little bit of money to use an otherwise free
software, right ? It's called costs of doing business.
If it's for your clients, I guess, YOU don't work for free for them,
right? So, can you explain, why a registration fee would prevent you
from using the software ?

> Lastly RedHat would be charging for our knowledge all and making a
> profit on what we have learned and shared freely over the years.

Oh, lord, when you are donating your knowledge to the list at this point
in time, you jump on the train donating your knowledge at a very late
stage of this project. I could understand such an argument, if you would
have been a developer from day one or year one.

If your donations are so huge that they would justify a salary for your
services, then you need first help the IC package to a point, where it
actually would be _bought_ and not downloaded for free.

May be free downloads of the software then should end ? Is that what
you want ?

> Just my 2 cents,

Your cents are worth 30 percent less today. I just wonder what else
will crash aside from the WTC.