[ic] Frustrated with IC 4.8

J. Frank Cortes interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 17:07:01 2001

--=====================_1571579551==_.ALT

Here's my .02 cents worth.
         I am in the process of setting up Interchange 4.8 right now. There
are many things that can go wrong and there are many things that need to be
setup properly before it will even install properly. This type of endeavor
is not for someone who is not totally knowledgeable on the system they are
using. If you are a quick learner then you can read and do and learn as you
go, which is how I am doing this. I am learning many things at one time
right now, How to use and setup Net BSD, How to make and install packages,
How to setup Apache, How to setup and run Postgres SQL, and How to setup
and Install Interchange. At this point I have gotten as far as working on
the Postgres SQL setup. After that is done it will be on to interchange.
This is all running on a Sun Sparc Clssinc by the way. It has taken me many
nights at home to get to this point. It has also taken many hours of
searching the web for information, on how to do certain things in the
system. I have subscribed to this list about a month ago and I go thorough
the messages as the headers peak my intrest. From what I have seen on this
list, Installation is usually not that bad as long as you know everything
about your system.

People always complain about things but usually don't do anything to help
out with things. If you don't like the docs or find a fault with them, then
record what you had to do in order to get something working and ask that
your notes be incorporated into the manual or into a readme. I have seen
what some of the pay for shopping carts look like and I haven't seen any
that have the flexibility and power of interchange. If you run into a
problem at a certain point, try to find the answer online, if you can't
find it there, then ask the list a pointed question after describing your
setup. More then likely it has been answered here before. From what I've
seen lots of people are very helpfull on this list, especially the people
from Redhat that actually make their money from servicing this software.

To wrap it up nothing is "free" there is always a cost. Sometimes it's
time, other times it's money. But there's nothing like being able to
totally customize an application to work just the way you want and do
exactly what you want. If you find that you can't afford the time to do it
yourself then maybe you should hire out someone who has the knowledge to do
it for you.

J. Frank Cortes

At 9/17/2001 01:24 PM, you wrote:
>On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:24:36 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >How is it that IC 4.8 can have so many great features and be so ill behaved
> >in implamenting them? What I mean by this is IC 4.8 seems to have
> everything
> >you could think of to put on a wish list for an online store and then some.
> >But when it comes to using the Administration interface to setup the store
> >it is contrary as hell. The changes that I make either give unexpected
> >results or have no effect at all. The help file included seems to be an
> >after thought that only makes one want a real help file. I find it next to
> >useless. The documentation on the Redhat web site is not much better. The
> >wizard that was intended to be used for quick setup seems to have a mind of
> >it's own.
> >
> >If I am the only one that is having problems with grasping how to use IC
> >then it won't hurt my feelings at all for you to tell me how stupid I am
> and
> >for you to point out what I am doing wrong. I would really like to get
> IC to
> >perform the way a program if this caliber should. I am use to stable
> >programs that work as intended. If this is the type of program that stems
> >from the open source code theory of designing software then it seems to
> be a
> >step backwards.
> >Just my $.02 worth.
>
>You are not the only one, I'm having the same problems. The documentation is
>worthless, that's the only way to describe it. Open source may be free
>initially, but I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't have gone with a well
>documented commercial solution instead. _Time_ certainly isn't free, and you
>need a lot of time to experiment to get things to work in Interchange.
>
>--
>Be seeing you.

--=====================_1571579551==_.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I am in
[...]
you know everything about your system. <br><br>
People always complain about things but usually don't do anything to help
out with things. If you don't like the docs or find a fault with them,
then record what you had to do in order to get something working and ask
that your notes be incorporated into the manual or into a readme. I have
seen what some of the pay for shopping carts look like and I haven't seen
any that have the flexibility and power of interchange. If you run into a
problem at a certain point, try to find the answer online, if you can't
find it there, then ask the list a pointed question after describing your
setup. More then likely it has been answered here before. From what I've
seen lots of people are very helpfull on this list, especially the people
from Redhat that actually make their money from servicing this
software.<br><br>
To wrap it up nothing is &quot;free&quot; there is always a cost.
Sometimes it's time, other times it's money. But there's nothing like
being able to totally customize an application to work just the way you
want and do exactly what you want. If you find that you can't afford the
time to do it yourself then maybe you should hire out someone who has the
knowledge to do it for you.<br><br>
J. Frank Cortes<br><br>
At 9/17/2001 01:24 PM, you wrote:<br>
,
you wrote:<br><br>
&gt;How is it that IC 4.8 can have so many great features and be so ill
behaved <br>
&gt;in implamenting them? What I mean by this is IC 4.8 seems to have
everything <br>
&gt;you could think of to put on a wish list for an online store and then
some. <br>
&gt;But when it comes to using the Administration interface to setup the
store <br>
&gt;it is contrary as hell. The changes that I make either give
unexpected <br>
&gt;results or have no effect at all. The help file included seems to be
an <br>
&gt;after thought that only makes one want a real help file. I find it
next to <br>
&gt;useless. The documentation on the Redhat web site is not much better.
The <br>
&gt;wizard that was intended to be used for quick setup seems to have a
mind of <br>
&gt;it's own.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;If I am the only one that is having problems with grasping how to use
IC <br>
&gt;then it won't hurt my feelings at all for you to tell me how stupid I
am and <br>
&gt;for you to point out what I am doing wrong. I would really like to
get IC to <br>
&gt;perform the way a program if this caliber should. I am use to stable
&gt;programs that work as intended. If this is the type of program that
stems <br>
&gt;from the open source code theory of designing software then it seems
to be a <br>
&gt;step backwards.<br>
&gt;Just my $.02 worth.<br><br>
You are not the only one, I'm having the same problems. The documentation
is<br>
worthless, that's the only way to describe it. Open source may be
free<br>
initially, but I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't have gone with a
well<br>
documented commercial solution instead. _Time_ certainly isn't free, and
you<br>
need a lot of time to experiment to get things to work in
Interchange.<br><br>
-- <br>
Be seeing you.<br>