[ic] Please help with pgp issue, please.

Tue Sep 18 13:53:00 2001

At 07:48 PM 09/17/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I am getting desperate here. My questions are going unanswered.
>I have set up two seperate sites using Interchange 4.6. One uses GPG for
>encryption the other does not encrypt the number at all. Both work fine. I am
>trying to set up a new server using Interchange 4.8. I would prefer to not
>use encryption since the order is sent locally. When I try to set that up I
>get NEED ENCRYPTION ENABLED where the CC number should be. If I can't get
>that working I will use gpg, but when I try to set it up with gpg that space
>is blank. I have searched through the e-mails and found other people who have
>had the same problems, but no answers.
>At the very least could somebody tell me exactly what to put in the Encryptor
>fields? I am a little confused about what goes where.
>Thanks.

I'm not sure where you went wrong here.  I set up IC 4.8.1 and the
foundation demo and it works right out of the gate, even before running the
setup wizard in the UI.  What I get on the emailed order report is not
'NEED ENCRYPTION ENABLED' but rather a partial card number and expiration
date, like:

visa 41**1111 03/03

You might want to run makecat and setup a fresh test catalog, then place a
test order and see what you get.

The whole issue of raw credit card numbers being stored on a web-accessible
server has been debated numerous times on this list.  RH has positioned
themselves firmly against it; others are more ambiguous.  It is easy enough
to capture the raw credit card number and place it in another variable with
a line in the order profile if you are determined to do it, but you are
assuming a huge liability, in my opinion.

I hope this message does not start another monster thread like "Frustrated
with IC 4.8" - please!  The list can only take so much. :0)

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax