[ic] Select box with external table lookup in UI

Tue Sep 18 18:44:00 2001

At 12:06 AM 09/19/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Ed LaFrance <edl@newmediaems.com> writes:
>
> > Hi all -
> >
> > 4.6.5 and 4.8.1: Just curious if anyone has been able to set up a select
> > box widget in the UI, so that it contains a list of unique values from an
> > external database?  For instance, setting up the category selector for
> > Items so that is displays every unique entry in the cat table
> (currently is
> > simply lists unique choices from the category column of the products
> table).
> >
> > I have not been able to get it to work with any combination of simple
> > settings in the meta editor; It appears something more elaborate may be
> needed.
>
>What do you mean with external database ? It is no problem to fill the
>select box with values from another table.

Sorry, I meant external *table*, bad habit.  If I set the meta data as follows:

widget type             ->      select box
lookup table            ->      external_tablename
field for lookup        ->      fieldname in external table
                                 (also tried external_tablename::fieldname and
                                 external_tablename:fieldname, and others...)
No width, height, options or filters

All I get is a plain text field, it does not even create the select
widget.  I must be misunderstanding the way to set the options for what I
want - can you provide specific examples?

Thanks,

Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax