[ic] Verisign, double, tripe charges, orders not going through IC

Ron Phipps interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 12:37:00 2001

Hello,

We just launched the new CaseEtc.com two days ago and are now using the
newest PGP and newest Verisign software.  This is to alert all of those
using the Verisign program to double check their order reports and
verisign reports for double and triple charges as well as single charges
where the order was not pushed through IC as valid.

This problem occurs when the connection to Verisign's server times out.
The verisign client will return a -12 as the result code.  The Verisign
IC module interprets this has a failed charge.  However in this
situation the charge could be valid or it could be invalid.  The reason
being is that the sales request is making it to Verisign and Verisign is
processing the card for the amount passed.  However the IC server is not
receiving the response back from Verisign so the IC server tells the
user to try again or call in their order.  The user then pushes the
checkout button again and this whole process can either repeat (possibly
resulting in 3+ charges), or the order is successful resulting in two
charges, or the user does not attempt again and walks away (we had this
on two occasions, luckily they were repeat customers we have since
contacted).

This problem did not happen in our test bed however it has happened
often on the live server up until this morning where all orders were
either successful the first time or declined for some other reason.

I'm still contemplating how to fix the Verisign module and I'd like to
hear form the community on which path I should take.

One path is to check the return code of the Verisign client for a '-12'
in this event immediately send out another verisign transaction with a
void for the last transaction sent.  Then tell the user something about
a communications error while processing the card, please try again. This
would void the transaction IF it went through and allow the user to
process their order again.

The second path would be to check the return code for a '-12' and in
this event allow the order to go through, but flag it on the email sent
to the shop owner that we did not receive a response from Verisign.
This would then not alert the user that there was a problem and allow
the order to go through.  But the shop owner would then have to verify
the funds were received.  If they were not received then the owner would
have to rerun the card.

I'm open to any other suggestions/solutions.  I'm not sure which path to
take, I just know that it needs to be fixed soon because this looks like
the only time a charge can get through and the order not be accepted by
IC.

We also received an email from Verisign alerting us that they were not
receiving a response back from our server after a transaction.  It looks
like this:

We have identified that the following approved transaction(s) processed
through your account have been identified as unknown status
transaction(s). This occurs when the VeriSign production servers do not
recognize that your e-commerce server has received the authorization
results from an approved transaction. This value-added service is
designed to prevent your customers from being billed when there is
uncertainty that you received the results of their order.  The unknown
status transaction details are as
follows:

VID      Trans_Id   Trans_Time         Result    Amount

xxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxx  9/18/01 9:49:15 PM  0  $102.73

xxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxx  9/18/01 9:50:50 PM  0  $102.73

xxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxx  9/18/01 10:15:43 PM  0  $34.63

These transaction(s) will not be settled until you provide us with
confirmation that you have received the order. If you wish to settle
this transaction, please respond to this message at your earliest
convenience.

Thank you for your time. Please let us know if you have additional
questions about this process.

Regards,
Customer Service
Verisign Payment Services