[ic] Verisign, double, tripe charges, orders not going through IC

Fri Sep 21 14:12:01 2001

Quoting Ron Phipps (rphipps@reliant-solutions.com):
>I did not update Perl or any of the modules when I installed 4.8.1.  The
>server was running 4.6.1 previously.  What does the '>>' operator do?
>We are running Perl 5.00503, would you recommend that we upgrade if we
>attempt 4.8.2?  Any ideas why ENOMEM would be occurring when there is
>plenty of memory and swap space?  It appears that this happens for any
>process that IC spawns whether it is Verisign, PGP or Sendmail.

[snip]
> In the last two days I had tried everything besides PreFork, not sure
> why I didn't think of that.  Here is the list of major things I changed:
>
> 1. Downgrade from Verisign v3 to v2
> 2. Downgrade from PGP 6.5.8 to 6.5.2
> 3. Switch the IC Verisign module from Vend:Payment:Signio to
> globalsub/signio
> 4. Install another 256mb of ram.

I am afraid I don't think of things often in the sense of downgrading
to make things work.

I am a bit disappointed in the (well-intentioned, I am sure)
finger-pointing toward IC, though, given your apparent old Perl and
Linux. You would be well-advised to update to Perl 5.6.0 -- the latest
stable Perl is always assumed if you don't mention it. I am surprised
that it is the first I noticed that, and am surprised that you would
deploy a system with a two-year-old-plus Perl. If you are using a
two-year-old Linux kernel as well I would advise updating that as well.

Remember all bugs are not Interchange. 8-\ If you didn't know,
thousands of bugs have been fixed in Perl and Linux in the last two
years.

The fact that the problem only appears at busy times means it can
be anything, and that it is less likely to be Interchange than it
is overall system.

> Last night I ended up downgrading IC from IC 4.8.1 to 4.6.1 and the
> server has processed 7 orders without the problem occurring.  The only
> change I needed to make for the catalog to work correctly was to remove
> a nested [if][else]. The true test will be this evening when orders are
> concurrent.
>
> Since we did not see these issues in the test server I'm leery to
> upgrade the server again at this point.  I'll talk with the client and
> we'll figure out which route he would like to take.  He was excited to
> see the speed enhancements for PreFork, but I wanted to verify the cart
> worked in the same mode before changing the server level variables.
>
> Mike let me know if you are interested in looking into this more.  This
> is probably beyond my knowledge and would rather keep the client at
> 4.6.1 until we need a feature in the new IC.

Sorry, that I cannot do, as I am not allowed to consult directly. I am still
convinced it is not 4.8.1 that is causing the problem, but I don't know
what to tell you besides doublecheck your resources (i.e. no error
messages in /var/log/messages).

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

I have a cop friend who thinks he ought be able to give a new ticket;
"too dumb for conditions".