[ic] RE: Top Quoting - What is it?

Tue Apr 2 13:09:01 2002

Quoting Andrew Lietzow (andrewl@theaclgroup.com):
> Dear Mike Heins,
> RE:>>I have simply started ignoring messages that top-quote.
> ---------
> Just so that I don't get on your bad side right off the bat, could you take
> a moment and define "top-quote".  Is what I am doing here considered
> "top-quoting"?
>
> I have always tried to include enough detail (about preceding messages in a
> thread) as to allow a reader with little knowledge of the previous
> conversation to quickly
> catch up.  Is this not good protocol?

Yes, just as you did and I am doing now. It is covered in the standard
news.newusers FAQ, in the informational message for this group, and in
the RFC for netiquette.

There are a lot of FAQ/etiquette resources for this, like:

	http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

The simpler the quoting the easier it is to read, i.e. a single > is the
most common character and the easiest for most people to read.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

People who want to share their religious views with you
almost never want you to share yours with them. -- Dave Barry