[ic] interchanging data between page and include

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 17:33:01 2002

> hi all,
> i'm probably just being thick but at the moment unable to figure the
> following:
> if i have a flypage with the code
> [fly-list code="data session arg"]
> [item-code]
> [/fly-list]
>
> that works fine and then change it to
> [fly-list code="data session arg"]
> [item-code]
> [include file="templates/mytemplate"]
> [/fly-list]
>
> with mytemplate being something along the lines of
> [item-code]<br />
> [item-field description]
>
> why do the parameters not arrive/ are the tags left untouched?
> or what would be even more interesting, how could i get the template to play
> with the values that the including file has got access to?
>
> any pointers would be greatly appreciated as i am pretty lost on this one.

First, I'll assume that the "data session arg" was a typo and
you know about the missing "[" and "]". :-)

To answer your question, the [item-*] tags are "subtags" of the
[fly-list] tag.  Once you get into your [include], you are
inside a completely new tag and out of the reach of the subtag
parser.

You could do one of two things:

    1) Move the [fly-list] tag into the included file.

    2) Don't use [include].  Read the file into a variable in
       catalog.cfg and use __MYTEMPLATE__ on the page instead.
       (I think that'll work).  In catalog.cfg:

           Variable MYTEMPLATE <templates/mytemplate