[ic] Admin gdbm Error

Thu Apr 11 10:55:00 2002

At 05:01 PM 4/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I am currently looking at reports of errors seen by our admin users in
>the Admin UI.  The error they are seeing is:
>
>Sorry, there was an error in processing this form action. Please report
>the error or try again later. (Could not tie to
>'/home/interchange/catalogs/secure/products/access.gdbm': Resource
>temporarily unavailable at /home/interchange/main/lib/Vend/Table/GDBM.pm
>line 115. )
>
>This is happening rarely, but just often enough to cause concern.  I've
>searched the archives, and can see references to GDBM.pm problems, but
>haven't come across any solutions to this other than a brute force
>method of killing the gdbm altogether by Mike.  Don't want to try that
>until I know there is nothing else I can do, this is on a live server
>and only happens on this server...
>
>Any help in trying to trace what the problem is would be appreciated.
>
>IC v4.8.3
>RH 7.1
>Perl v5.6.0
>gdbm-1.8.0-5
>
>Thanks,
>
>-- orko

I have seen this on one client's catalog - that happens to be on old
Minivend site using gdbm files. Though I have never done a thorough
analysis, the error seems to appear when the table in question gets busy
with multiple accesses; it is as if gets overwhelmed easily.

You might want to consider switching to MySQL or one of the other supported
third-party DBMS. I have never seen this issue with those systems, even on
very busy sites.

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax