[ic] really dumb question

Chris Schaub interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 15:09:00 2002

--- Paul Jordan <paul@gishnetwork.com> wrote:

> > Ok, I've read all of the man pages and I still can't figure out
> > exactly how to
> > make a product option that is a text entry box. I need to prompt
> > the user for
> > some extra data at order time. I don't want to create an external
> > table for
> > this data. Do I have to add a field to the product layout or can
> > I just add an
> > option. Any help is appreciated.
> >

> Hi Chris,
>
> This is a cut and paste of an answer Kevin Walsh gave to a user some weeks
> ago, they wanted to add a text value to any given item in the cart::
>
> Quoting Kevin:
> You can modify the following as you see fit:  To save a text value
> along with a cart item, you can add the following to your "add to cart"
> form on your flypage:
>
>     <input type="hidden" name="mv_item_option" value="itemtext">
>     <input type="text" name="mv_order_itemtext" value="" size="20">
>
> You can retrieve this information on your cart and checkout pages,
> or wherever, using a tag such as [item-modifier itemtext].  Change
> the "itemtext" identifier to anything you like, but use the same
> identifier in the "mv_item_option" value, the "mv_order_" name and
> the [item-modifier] tag parameter.
>
> Repeat those two lines for every one of the item's options, but change
> the "itemtext" identifier.
>
> You may also find the AutoModifier directive useful.
> You can probably just have this data sent to you in report, as opposed to
> making a new table
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Paul

Thanks. I'm wondering if I can just create an option and give it a hard-coded
value like "foo". Then if I create my own html product pages, just make the
input a text instead of a select box for that option. It looks like the db
schema doesn't care?

I'm still getting hung up on creating prices for simple options. If I have 10
different colors, how do I make each color a different price?

=====
Classical Guitar - Location Recording
http://www.schaubguitar.com
http://chris.schaub.name