[ic] Back Button Interaction with IC

Ron Phipps interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Apr 15 17:35:00 2002

Hello,

We are using the [button] tags to generate the checkout, recalculate,
clear basket, continue shopping etc buttons like in the foundation demo.
We've found that users have been able to checkout without actually
pushing the checkout button on the checkout.html page.  How they are
doing this is they place an item in their cart, which then forwards them
to the basket page.  They then click on the go to checkout button which
forwards them to the checkout page.  They are then able to push the back
button on their browser (which puts them back on the basket page) and
push the recalculate, clear basket, or go to checkout button and their
order is placed without going through the normal checkout_profile
routines for validation.  This also allows them to checkout without
selecting a payment method or valid shipping since they never make it to
checkout_profile.  If the user then clicks the back button again and
they are returned to the basket page and can again push recalculate,
clear basket or go to checkout and the order will be placed with no
items in the cart and no validation once again.

Has anyone else experienced this?  And if so what did you do to fix the
problem?  Our client is seeing this in about 1/3 of the orders so it
looks like the practice is not abnormal to use the back buttons for
navigation.  I'll be looking into fixes this afternoon and will pass
along what I find.  I'll also be trying this out on the demo site to see
if the same thing happens.  Thanks!

-Ron