[ic] Here's more detail on this __IMAGE_DIR__ problem..

Andrew Lietzow interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Apr 22 20:28:01 2002

Dear IC wizards,

No postings for a while--had hardware problems and now that's behind me so I
can finally get back to my IC project....

Here's the deal -- I've used the road map at
http://interchange.redhat.com/archive/interchange-users/2001/msg12110.html
on two or three different occasions.  Thank You again, Timothy Burt, for
posting this!  Your posting has been most helpful and it seems to be the
only roadmap I can follow and get anywhere, so thanks.

After following these instructions and making a few minor adjustments, I
have ALMOST gotten back to where I was with a functioning Foundation Store
Demo.   However...

I just did about as complete an uninstall as I could do.  I removed the
/usr/local/interchange directory, and the /var/lib/interchange/catalogs
directory, and anything else that said "interchange" accept some dox.   Then
I downloaded the tarball, ran configure and bin/makecat.  No errors, and
first time I click on the recommend URL, voila, success--well kinda.   I
follow Timothy's instruction to a T, except where my system configuration is
different for the DocumentRoot, and where the system stores the catalogs.
(I don't HAVE to put those under /home, do I?  Can't you put them under
/var/lib/interchange?)

What I end up with, and I've been in this place three different times over
the course of a few weeks, is a foundation home page but it cannot find the
images.  Then I have to phutz around with the __IMAGE_DIR__ variable
settings and the ImageDirInternal because the system DOES NOT take my input
and process it correctly from the makecat script.  OR, if it does take it
correctly, then it is throwing an extra "/" into some variable that it
should not.

When I take a look at the URL reference, I have something like the
following:
http://mydomain.net/foundation/images/foundation//logo.gif .  You can see
for yourself as of 02.04.21 at this URL
http://microanswers.net/cgi-bin/foundation (I did find a 1/2 fix, though...
see below).
Notice the .// right in front of the logo.gif.  I'm hoping someone can tell
me this is a known issue and can provide a workaround.  I have tried to
remove the / at the end of the __IMAGE_DIR__ variable setting in the
catalog.cfg and it seems to have no positive effect.  I had to leave the /
at the end of the __IMAGE_DIR__ or the resulting URL comes up without ANY /

So, I'm stumped.  Since I have downloaded and installed from scratch two or
three times now, it seems like there is a bug in the install script or that
I keep repeating the same mistake every time I run the script.  If that is
the case, shouldn't there be a mask that parses my response that says, "Hey.
You're doing it wrong" and forces a different input?

The reason I completely removed and started from scratch again was that no
matter what I entered for the DocumentRoot, it would not accept my entry.  I
blew the whole thing away and started from scratch, and this time it
accepted my entry for DocumentRoot exactly as I wanted it.   Very odd...

(To "fix" this, I just discoved that I can take the / off the end of the
variable ImageDirInternal in the catalog.gif file, but then when I click
refresh, it goes back to the original state.  Click Home, it looks good.
Click Refresh, it doesn't.  Click Home, good, Click Refressh, gone.  Must be
a variable setting being passed to the browser wowser?  Wouldn't it make
sense just to allow the user to put the images where they want them and then
hard code this into an administration setting?)

TIA for any help that someone might give.

Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.