[ic] feasibility of random components

Aaron Hazelton interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Apr 24 08:45:00 2002

Hi all,

I need some input on this idea, to see if it would even be feasible, and
perhaps more importantly, (somewhat) simple to do.  Maybe someone has
done this or has another solution.

Im thinking about having components on some pages be random.  -- One
time you visit this page, it might show specials, the next time you
visit it might show "tips" or "testimonials" components or whatever
else.  Here's my idea on maybe how to do it:

= put the "random" component in each page you want this done in.

<!--the random component-->
Perl code to come up with a random number between 1 and ?? (I don't know
perl, but im sure I can find out that there is a way to do that)

Make [if] statements allowing the value generated from the perl code to
[include] the corresponding component (specials, testimonials, search
boxes, etc, etc.)

So am I anywhere close? Does this sound like a possibility?  "GURUian"
input is greatly appreciated!

  _____

Sincerely,
Aaron Hazelton