[ic] Newbie: Wholesale vs Retail

Dan Browning interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Aug 1 21:04:01 2002

At 12:37 PM 8/1/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>First off I'm brand new to Interchange 4.8.3 having just been introduced
>to it last week by my new hosting provider who facilitated an auto
>install of the foundation store. I can say so far that its simply
>teriffic and light years beyond the perl cart I was developing up to a
>few weeks ago! I'm also enjoying this mailing list and its valuable
>posts immensely.
>
>I have one question that so far I'm unable to answer myself and it
>concerns resellers (actually I'm having a tax problem also but maybe
>I'll solve that myself before clogging the bandwidth <g>).
>
>I am creating a retail catalog by customizing the foundation store and
>this will be my business -> consumer site. Since we also sell business
>-> business (B2B) I'd like to create a store (maybe a separate IC store
>I can even give it sub-domain like 'resellers.mystore.com') that needs a
>pwd to be accessed by members only. I know some of this functionality
>exists already with 4.8.3 because I'm entering wholesale prices but how
>do I actually create a separate store for use by members only? Or
>perhaps use the same catalog but require a pwd for members to gain
>access to wholesale pricing? Which do you think is better?

I think it is better to keep them on the same catalog, but conditionally
modify the site for wholesalers.  If you login as jdoe/test in Foundation,
you'll see the wholesaler pricing in effect (I think).  For looks, you
could modify the recently posted URL manipulation examples to give
wholesalers a completely different pages/ and templates/ directories (i.e.
a new look and feel).  Alternatively, one could just conditionally ([if
scratch dealer]) modify the current look-and-feel a little
bit.  TIMTOWTDI.  :-)

| Dan Browning, Kavod Technologies <db@kavod.com>
As the trials of life continue to take their toll, remember that there
is always a future in Computer Maintenance.
                 -- National Lampoon, "Deteriorata"