[ic] Newbee needs help converting Access DB to MySQL for Interchange bookstore

Steve Graham interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Aug 1 22:49:01 2002

>From: "David Hesson" <cdhesson@zoomnet.net>

>Can anyone point me in the direction of simple instructions on how to
>begin.
>I am trying to convert my ASP/Access (85,000 items) bookstore to
>Interchange/MySQL.
>
>My bro has a small Hosting company (4 servers) and has installed
>Interchange
>for me and has linked it to his MySQL server. (I have read the literature
>on
>the DB options that Interchange offers and I assume the most preferable
>options for a DB of this size is to use MySql.) I downloaded the foundation
>store product.txt file, opened it in Excell, added a few of my books to the
>template, saved it as tab delimited file and uploaded it as a test. I
>visited the  site, expecting the TXT file to be read and the DB appended
>with the new items but nothing happened.  No errors etc.  I used the admin
>on the site to manually add an item and it worked.
>
>As you can tell from this note, I have little programming experience but am
>determined to learn Interchange - I just need a little help - alright a lot
>of help - getting started. Anyone feeling sympathetic today??
>
>Dave

You can install the mysql api on your Winbox, and write a windows .asp page
copy all the data over to the MySQL server.

Or you can export your access data to a excel spreadsheet and import it into
IC.

-Steve