[ic] Trying to import 50,000 items

DB interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Aug 6 07:52:03 2002

> I am trying to import a catalog of roughly 50,000 items and I am finding
> the import from the admin ui too slow (timing out on webserver).
> Database is PostgreSQL 7.1.3 and Interchange 4.8.3.  Is there a command
> line utility to allow this from a tab delineated file.  Also, curiosity
> question.  For those other people that have done the same, roughly how
> long did it take for your import to finish.
>
> Thank you,
> Nicholas Cook

My products database has a similar number of records. I use the admin
GUI to import as tab-delimted and it takes about 5 minutes to complete
on my cable connection. My cable company caps the upload speed at
128Kbps. I noticed that Mozilla and IE work better for this than
Netscape 6.X did. Netscape 6.X took forever to do much of anything in
the GUI.

DB