[ic] Reloading page causes new item to be added

Interchange User interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Aug 6 14:56:01 2002

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 02:44, you wrote:
> Quoting Interchange User (inter@myoccasion.com):
> > Hi, I wonder if anyone noticed from the live demo store, that if
> > you do the following:
> >
> > 1) click on "More Info" for an item (to go into the flypage),
> > 2) click "Buy Now"
> > 3) at the "basket" page, press ctrl-r (or click the "reload"
> > button on the browser) to reload the page
> >
> > ...a new item (same as the previous) will be added into the cart?
> >
> > That's bad...
> > How can we overcome this problem?
>
> This is not a problem!!!
>
> You asked it to order twice, and it did so. It would be more of
> a problem if it *didn't* do that.

Hmm... but to ordinary users, that page itself is actually a "View
shopping cart" page (aka basket), they wouldn't imagine it to be an
order page (as in, if they reload, will order the item twice).
That's what my client pointed out... so I've got to solve this
problem, or talk them outta it  :P

> If you really want to worry about this (since it is never a
> real-world problem, I wouldn't) then just make the form with the
> buy button a POST.

Could you elaborate a little?  Do you mean on the basket page itself?
 The "Buy" button occurs in many types of pages (in this example,
it's on the flypage), and the last I know, they're already using
POST.  A little confused here...  TIA for any help!  :)