[ic] anchors in area tags

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Aug 7 13:55:00 2002

> >You'll be wanting to read RFC2068 (Hypertext Transfer Protocol HTTP/1.1),
> >section 3.2.1 (General Syntax), so that you can correct the many cases
> >where you've made this mistake.
> >
> >    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2068.html (HTTP/1.1)
> >    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1945.html (HTTP/1.0)
> >
> Microsoft has already proved first hand that just because it is in or
> not in the standard means very little, the ultimate test is which works
> with the browsers in use....

Although this is true, the type of browser is irrelevant in this case.
The web server will strip anything after the '#', leaving a "clean"
URI.  The web server will then process the clean URI and return the
requested page to the browser.  The browser is expected to "remember"
the #fragment and jump to the appropriate anchor on the received page
all by itself.

The '#' is at the end of the URI, after any arguments, so that it can
be removed by the web server without any drama or inefficient rewrites.

With this in mind, I stick by my original assertion that the correct
way to use an anchor with an [area] tag is "[area pagename]#anchorname".