[ic] what do I need to know?

Grant interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Aug 17 17:53:01 2002

I've been running an IC store for a little bit now, and after reading the
pre-4.8.6 security warning, I started wondering if I might be missing
anything.  Mike's comment:

In addition, we recommend that if you don't need INET mode that
you disable it. In addition it would be wise to close port 7786
on the internet side of your firewall.

got me thinking that there might be certain things that need to be done for
the sake of security or proper maintenance that I didn't know about.  I
haven't READ the manuals, I've only referenced them when I've needed to.  Is
there anything I need to know about security or essential maintenance?  I
have read Chapter 6 in the Getting Started Guide, so I've read about
rotating the logs, purging the temp directory, and purging the session
directory, but I have to admit I'm not doing any of these things.  Are those
maintenance procedures essential for a relatively low-traffic site?  Are
there any other things that I as an IC administrator of an online store
should know?  Security, essential maintenance, etc.?  Thank you!

- Grant

P.S. In Mike's comment above (which was made before 4.8.6's release), did he
mean that those things should be done if you aren't running 4.8.6, or even
if you are?