[ic] problem with site launch

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Aug 21 21:24:03 2002

> > Hi All!
> > My problem is:
> > Our present URL www.vmss.com is linked to the old site.We have
> > finished our new interchange site
> > http://www.vmss.com/~asavalan/cgi-bin/cart.cgi but we don't know how
> > to do, when the user picks up www.vmss.com it would pop directly into
> > interchange index.html page. Thank you.
> >
> I use a little HTML index.html to open the cart in an frame that takes
> the entire browser window.  This has the added effect of keeping
> www.vmss.com as the address in your browser no matter what the user
> click on.  Check the out..

That sort of solution would also have the added effect of keeping all
of those pesky search engine spiders from indexing your site.

If you don't have permission to set up redirects, and your host is
unable or unwilling to do this for you, you could try the other
suggested approaches:

  1) Set up an index.shtml page to load your Interchange index page
     using SSI.  This depends upon SSI support in the web server and
     assumes that index.shtml can be set up to be the default page.
     Given that you don't have the access required to set the
     Apache DirectoryIndex directive, this may not be an option.

  2) Set up an ordinary index.html page with a link that says
     "Click here to enter our site."

  3) Set up an ordinary index.html page with a http-equiv (Refresh)
     which will bounce the user to your Interchange index.html.
     You could also incorporate option (2) into a page like this,
     for browsers that ignore the Refresh header.