[ic] Accessing another catalog's products table

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Aug 22 11:07:00 2002

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 10:41:41AM -0400, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting Bill Carr (bill@worldwideimpact.com):
> > On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 07:30, allmanj@houseofireland.com wrote:
> > > I am using interchange with mysql and everything is looking rosy so far. i have
> > > sites up and running using interchange but now i've run into a bit of a problem.
> > >
> > > i want to have a catalog with its products table in its own database but to use
> > > the products table from another catalog (and another database) as well. i'm
> > > trying to think of a way to avoid the name conflict, any ideas?
> > >
> > > to make it clearer lets say catalog1 and catalog2 both running on the same
> > > machine with two databases, one for each catalog.
> > >
> > > i want catalog1 to have, from its point of view, another table (aside from the
> > > ones automatically given to it) that is in fact the products table from catalog2.
> > >
> > > it would be nice if catalog1 could access the products table from catalog2 as
> > > cat2products or something...
> > >
> > > i know it is possible to use a table from another catalog, but i believe this
> > > case is difficult because i want the name it is accessed by to be different to
> > > the name in the actual database. is this even possible?
> > catalog1.cfg:
> > Database        db2.products      REAL_NAME       products
> > NoImport        db2.products
> >

> I *strongly* recommend against using a '.' in a table name. It will
> break things on multiple levels, even in SQL.

As long as one knows one is using mySQL and understands that it may
not be portable.  YMMV.

An alternative - mySQL again - would be to make a symlink to the
tables you want in the database directory, eg

cd /var/lib/mysql/one_foot_catalog
ln -s ../two_foot/products.MYI one_foot_products.MYI
same for MYD and frm

(current debian)

Note, you might not want to use '_' either.  :-)