[ic] Accessing another catalog's products table

Bill Carr interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Aug 22 14:01:01 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 10:41, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting Bill Carr (bill@worldwideimpact.com):
> > On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 07:30, allmanj@houseofireland.com wrote:
> > > I am using interchange with mysql and everything is looking rosy so far. i have
> > > sites up and running using interchange but now i've run into a bit of a problem.
> > >
> > > i want to have a catalog with its products table in its own database but to use
> > > the products table from another catalog (and another database) as well. i'm
> > > trying to think of a way to avoid the name conflict, any ideas?
> > >
> > > to make it clearer lets say catalog1 and catalog2 both running on the same
> > > machine with two databases, one for each catalog.
> > >
> > > i want catalog1 to have, from its point of view, another table (aside from the
> > > ones automatically given to it) that is in fact the products table from catalog2.
> > >
> > > it would be nice if catalog1 could access the products table from catalog2 as
> > > cat2products or something...
> > >
> > > i know it is possible to use a table from another catalog, but i believe this
> > > case is difficult because i want the name it is accessed by to be different to
> > > the name in the actual database. is this even possible?
> > catalog1.cfg:
> > Database        db2.products      REAL_NAME       products
> > NoImport        db2.products
> >

> I *strongly* recommend against using a '.' in a table name. It will
> break things on multiple levels, even in SQL.
Help me see the light. I have been doing the following frequently and
for a long period of time:

Database        mydb.items      mydb.items.txt
dbi:mysql:mydb:hurricane;mysql_read_default_file=/usr/local/interchange/.my.cnf
Database        mydb.items      REAL_NAME       items
Database        mydb.items      AUTO_SEQUENCE   1
Database        mydb.items      RaiseError      0
Database        mydb.items      PrintError      1
NoImport        mydb.items

In Mysql I can say 'SELECT * FROM <database>.<table>' with out a
problem. What am I missing? Why does my stuff work?

Thanks,
--
Bill Carr
Worldwide Impact