[ic] Redirecting to new store

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Aug 22 14:08:01 2002

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 01:57:18PM -0400, Christopher Van Oosterhout wrote:

> At 12:49 PM 8/22/02 -0500, tj@idzyn.net wrote:
> >Quoting Christopher VanOosterhout <chris@torresen.com>:
> >>
> >> I want everyone that is currently going to
> >> http://shop.oldserver.com/cgi-bin/oldstore/partnumber
> >> to be automatically forwarded to the new store:
> >> http://shop.newserver.com/cgi-bin/newstore/partnumber
> >>
> >> The interchange server will continue to run on the old server .. just in
> >>
> >> case, but I want to move the majority of users to the new store ... on
> >> the
> >> new server ... and I would like it to be as automated as possible.
> >>
> >> Notice that the new store is on a new server and has a new catalog name,
> >>
> >> but all of the part numbers will remain the same.
>
> >Why not simply redirect the page to the new one?
>
> That sounds good ... but I am not sure if I understand how to implement
> this as it relates to Interchange.  Could you possibly give me an
> example.  If I created an .htaccess file in the /cgi-bin/ directory that
> said:
>
> Redirect /cgi-bin/oldstore http://www.newserver.com/cgi-bin/newserver
>
> Can you think of any Interchange specific reasons why this would not work?

CNAME your old store to the new store.

Add a script alias in your new catalog to take requests for the
old catalog if you want those links to hang around.

If you do not want them to hang around, write a little perl script
that redirects anything for the old store to the new one and
logs where requests come from so you can advise refering sites.
If catching referers is not an issue, just modify your 404 page
on the old site with a link to new site.

You might or might not have cookie issues depending on how you do
this.  Set BASE in your pages to the new site.