[ic] fastest way to do a one-click (link) search?

Thu Aug 22 18:26:03 2002

Quoting Aaron Hazelton (aaronmail@hazenet.net):
> Hi All,
>
> Im working on a catalog that will have approx. 70,000 items.
> I got MySQL working and used [query] tags in the results
> page.  On the local machine, any search takes about 1 second!
>
> Anyways, I have use for a lot of 'one-click' searches via http
> links.  (...scan/st=db/....).  Is that the best way to do it?  Is
> there any other alternative that will better use the power of
> MySQL?

If you have a limiting thing like category or prod_group,
just make sure you use coordinated search:

	fi=products
	st=db

	co=yes

	sf=category
	se=STRING
	op=eq

If you have an "eq" operation, the base query to get the
first screen of results will be:

	select * from products where category = 'STRING'

Assuming "category" is indexed, it should be very fast.

--

Perusion -- Expert Interchange Consulting    http://perusion.com
phone +1.513.523.7621 <mike@perusion.com>

Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock