[ic] AOL losing session data.

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Aug 26 23:05:02 2002

Quoting Dan (ic@concolor.org):
> On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 19:14, Dan Browning wrote:
> > Aha, I see what you mean.  You don't get the benefit of the random mv_pc
> > since you are using it to track affiliates.   If I were you, I'd look
> > into using another variable for the affiliate tracking or for the unique
> > URL (perhaps forcing id=? even if they do have cookies enabled).
>
> Hmm. I like the idea of forcing id=? even with cookies. I'll have to
> look into how to do that. The main issue is that these are coming in via
> google adwords and the URL set up there is static. As it is for many
> affiliates.
>
> I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed. It is not an issue
> that would be readily obvious for most affiliate programs. Who is going
> to notice that you aren't giving an affiliate credit? We noticed it
> because we have tied our shipping charges to affiliate referals and are
> having to send refund checks for shipping.

I agree it needs to be addressed. I think the way to go is
to add a third auto-writing parameter to URLs, that can be turned
on with a similar scratch variable. It should be mv_source (not taken)
and enabled with $Scratch->{mv_add_source}. That would mean that
all links on the cached page would have the source, and it would
persist.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Prove you aren't stupid.  Say NO to Passport.