[ic] Lots of errors when under heavy load

J P interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Dec 4 21:02:00 2002

>I understand that but the  concern is why systems
>inability to handle the traffic in general as the
>errors I had included in the normal post,
>are certainly not normal or desired, correct?

Personally I'd want the pages spidered for search
engines... but one thing I noticed accidentally while
getting ready to set up my first IC store was that
when the format of the url was wrong it created an
error.  In my case I forgot id=  but some search
engines might limit the length of the url which could
be causing it.  Judging by the url's being requested,
I don't think that is the case.  I'm guessing here but
some of the errors might be compounded by the first in
the group which appears to be this one

>dsl-cda-275.icehouse.net RYQb3Ua4:icehouse.net -
>[02/December/2002:19:30:00 -0500] mmb2c
>/cgi-bin/mmb2c/TRM-2446-FC-SMA-02.html SQL
>query failed for products: Can't call
>method "command" on an undefined
>value at /ibin/interchange/lib/Vend/Table/DBI.pm line
> 1643.

When I look at the pages being called, the first two
errors are called by the same page, this product
TRM-2446-FC-SMA-02.html.   And the way it's jumping
around from page to page not following any reasonable
path, the session might be getting lost (some of the
errors are in Session.pm and cookietest) and causing
confusion since spiders probably don't accept cookies
generally (I believe).  But the culprit really seems
to be line 1643 of DBI.pm.  Have you looked at that
yet?

One other thing to look at is your max connections on
mysql, if it's hitting you hard, with a lot of
repetition, it could be eating up all your
connections.  And I know that some versions of mysql
(from I think .50 to .52), there was a real issue with
thread thrashing, I don't know if it's been solved or
not but we have stayed below .50 for that specific
reason.

JP