[ic] restarting cart problem

Paul Jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Dec 6 20:01:01 2002

> have my hosting company "fix" it.  My hosting company keeps
> mentioning
> another cart, Agora, and is trying to encourage me to use that one.
> However, I have spent a lot of time and energy creating my
> store in the

Only when I was in a shared environment and using Cpanel, did I have a
issues like this. I used to host with imhosted.com, who I have left for
a year now. I now believe the root of most of my problems were with
Cpanel and/or my hosts choice to use Cpanel, and their incompetence WRT
Interchange. Ofcourse at that point, I was VERY new, and I should not
ever underestimate the raw power of my incompetence.

I host now with Ed Lafrance (newmediaems.com), who turned me on to Plesk
server Administrator. It is a very clean bare bones server admin that I
believe is widely used with IC. Cpanel is a Fat Hog.

imhosted also encouraged me to use agora too. I think it is because IC
is inherently more powerful, thus more complicated, and usually cut rate
hosting companies employing Cpanel do not offer support for IC.

It is a bait and switch. They will say they are giving you everything
under the sun (esp if it is free) but then they won't support it. IMO
Cpanel and IC target two completely different people, yet they are
bundled together frequently. However as a web newbie Cpanel attracted me
too, then that is how I discovered IC, and I could not imagine being
able to do what I have done in anything but IC, unless I had an
unlimited budget that is :)

Verdict: find another host. You may have to spend slightly (and I mean
slightly) more, but it will be worth it.

Paul