[ic] Preparing Orders

DB interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Dec 13 21:02:00 2002

> It's not so much the printing or sending to the printer, but the
> preparing and presenting the data on the packing slip or mailing
> labels.  Is there a module or similiar to  get the particular data for
> an order out of  IC.  Speciaifcally, when viewing an Order a button  or
> something saying "Click here to Print Packing Slips and Label".  Maybe
> something that could expect a certain type of label or packing slip
> format.  I realize this is difficult to do in HTML because you do not
> have exact control over placement of text on an HTML page.
>
> I am just wondering what others do.  How do people get an order from the
> IC administration screen to a sealed box ready to be shipped?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

I worte a perl/DBI script that extracts data from both the transactions
and orderline tables, then outputs a pipe-delimeted flatfile. I use this
flatfile along with a word processor's "mail merge" tool to generate
faxes... one for each order. I fax these to suppliers who fill the
orders. The same could be done for packing slips.

This takes place outside of IC and there may well be easier ways. But
this works well for me. If you'd like a copy of this script, post here
and I'll be happy to share.

DB