[ic] State-based tax and item-based tax at the same time..logistics problem.

Stephanie van Doleweerd interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Dec 16 11:17:00 2002

First, thanks to Gary for helping me solve my database truncation problem
earlier this month.

I've got a bit of a challenge as far as taxation is concerned. I'm hoping
that someone else has attempted this and can give me a shove in the right
direction (please!). I haven't found similar situations in the archives or
anywhere else.

My store is set up for state-based tax, or in this case province-based since
this is local to Canada. This works perfectly, with taxes calculated by
provincial rate at the checkout. There's only one catch: Ontario has two
different tax rates.

I need to somehow be able to tell Interchange to use state-based tax unless
the client is shipping to Ontario, in which case the tax on certain items is
15% and is 7% on other items.

I'm not sure how to approach this. I was thinking that it may be possible to
put an "if" statement into the details for each item that would say that tax
is 'x' amount if shipping to Ontario, else tax is calculated by the state
tax method. I'm unfortunately not a programmer, so I'm not sure if this
would be feasible via Perl or whether there are IC tags that are capable of
doing this. Does anyone have any input?

Many thanks.

Stephanie van Doleweerd
Vianet Internet Solutions