[ic] Neophyte Question

Paul Jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Dec 18 12:49:01 2002

> I already have a searachable film and film compilation datadase
> (MySQL)..
>
> see microcinema.com/searchFilms.php
>
> I would like to add an option to buy certain items that pop up in the
> search...
>
> I already have a database driven site too so content is not
> an issue...
>
> is this cart a good application for what I want to do or should I
> concider something else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick

Patrick, IC will be more than enough to accomplish this. I went to your
site, and you seem like a competent programmer, so you should not have
any trouble. You will be going in knowing alot more than I did :) We
have a content site, and are finishing up our image automations, and
starting audio and everything is going well so far.  In the future, we
plan to sell video as well.

One thing you have to keep in mind is "where" your content is. You don't
want IC to serve it directly. You want it outside of IC, and then link
to it.

Also, IC has built in download facilities but you probably don't want to
use it for heavy content (unless it was improved since 4.8.3). Mike
Heins made a script that makes a symlink to the contents directory after
purchase. My link is sent in their email, and it is a random url, and is
deleted via a cron after so long.

Anyways, that script is floating around the archives somewhere. You can
also employ one of the fine consultants on the list to do things that
you have trouble with.

However I think you should consider building the whole site in IC. If
you just want to use it as a "cart" to put things to sell in, then it
may be overkill, although possible.

Remember, once you start selling through Sitellite, you will have to
license the product. Even though IC is the 'cart' internals, I believe
Sitellite would be considered your store, and thus for business use.

I would classify IC as a CMS+, the + being ecommerce, and also
Ecommerce+, the plus being a CMS, and maybe even a ++, although I am not
sure what THAT plus if for.

HTH

Paul