[ic] Interchange using lots of cpu...

Duncan McGreggor interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Dec 20 15:25:01 2002

Hey Gordon,

I've been using MiniVend/Interchange for about 3 years now, but in the
last year I have begun using it seriously and professionally. I really
hope you are successful in conveying the... "non-toyness" of ic to your
colleagues, as it is most definitely not a toy. I have worked with a
great number of e-commerce/CMS packages (commercial and OS), and of them
all, I prefer ic (for a long list of reasons). The one thing that has
really impressed me over the few years has been the complex nature of
ic's internals, and the simplicity that is conveyed on the surface.

One thing to keep in mind is that ic truly is a complete e-commerce
system. It has gone though millions of development hours, tons of
testing, and security enhancement... the list goes on and on. The
developers have done so much in order that you don't have to. Just think
of all the diverse elements of full e-comm apps... I love perl, and
there is always the temptation to write my own code for any given
project. However, when it comes to other peoples' money and financial
transactions, I put my trust in seven years of development by whole
teams of coders who are, at the very least, as good as me, but more
likely, far superior coders. Fortunately, due to the OS nature of ic, I
don't have to trust only - I can look at the code (and learn!)

I would recommend a thorough study of the ic docs, and seeing that
you're very engineering-oriented, you probably want to dive into the ic
internals. In so doing, your deeper understanding will change the way
you code for ic - things will run more efficiently and resource
utilization will decrease dramatically.

Good luck on your crusade,
Duncan

gordon@nextrieve.com wrote