[ic] Need help building [item-param] tags

Thomas J.M. Burton interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 13:26:00 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed LaFrance" <edl@newmediaems.com>
To: <interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [ic] Need help building [item-param] tags

> I'm not sure I understand how this is supposed to work.  Is the [query]
> only supposed to return one row?  And what is feeding the [search-list]
here?

> - Ed L.

Sorry, I meant to mention that. A search form on another page is feeding the
[search-list]. That page also sets [value cat].

And yes, the query is returning one row with information about the category
being searched.

This catalog has several categories of product, each with a wide variation
of characteristics that need to be used to describe the products. Being able
to build an item's description from specified fields seems like a better
approach than having a description field in the product tables since that
would create redundant data.

In a previous version of this catalog, I used [if explicit] in any item
lists to pull together the proper fields based on which category the item
was in. This proved to be a pain whenever new product categories were added
because I had to add more conditions to each page template that displayed
product. For this rebuild, I'm trying to create a more flexible system where
category-specific elements are specified through a datatable rather than
within page templates.

I hope that clears things up. If you have any other questions about how it's
supposed to work, please ask and I'll try to explain better.

Thanks,
TJMB

Thomas J.M. Burton, Design/Production
Global Focus Digital Media, LLC