[ic] Verisign PFPRO Transactions Getting Dropped

Fred Pope interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 00:13:01 2002

"Your problem is your IO. You need to install faster hard drives, or off
load some of the traffic from that box... What is happening in sort of a
summary, is PRPFO is timing out handing the result code back to
interchangce because it can't create a temp file."

Thanks a bunch John. I owe you one...

I think that this is right on. We aliased the site so it does not look
like it is in a CGI-BIN directory. Yesterday, and the day before....the
fast spyders got stuck in the site for a long time. The site is running
on a heavily populated server (CPU USAGE 5.00 4.97 3.00) and I think
that this is an accurate assessment of what is going on. The problem was
not there when the spyders were not clogging the isles of our store, so
I will keep an eye on it and see if we have any more problems.

> What version of Perl?  What Kernel?  Is the machine multi processor?
> Running in low traffic, high traffic, or PreFork mode?  Do you see
> problems with PGP or Sendmail not being able to do their job randomly?

5.6, Whatever comes with RH 7.1, Single Processor, Low traffic, NO & NO

> Multiple charges with no order going through in IC
> Multiple charges with the order going through in IC
Never saw any of these

> 1 charge, no order
Saw a few of these.

> Post those results so we can get at least the result code and maybe
> figure out what's going on.  We unfortunately did not come up with a
> fix and had to go back to IC 4.6.3 so that the site could continue to
> process orders.  We are very interested in seeing what causes this
> because we will be launching a 4.8.3 site in the very near future.
>
> Good luck,
> -Ron

I think that maybe reducing the load on the server may be the ticket.
With Linux you begin to take for granted how bad you can burry a server
and it still just runs and runs and runs.