[ic] Foundation Enhancements..

Randy Moore interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sun Feb 10 23:07:00 2002

At 02:58 AM 2/11/2002 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi Randy
>
>This is really neat!
>
>Would there be a way so that the main categories are also linked and that
>when a user goes to that category that the subcats for that category are
>displayed?
>
>What I mean is that the user might try to click "Hardware" trying to go to
>the Hardware section, rather than clicking the "+" sign in front of
>Hardware. It would be nice if both worked. The + would expand the list,
>and "Hardware" would take them directly to the Hardware items.

This part  is already possible with the code as it is.  Just go into the
Design section of the Admin pages and set the Link Type of your Area
heading use a simple search (category=Whatever).  It works just like the
non-expanding version vertical category menu in that respect.

>Also, let's say that they click Hardware, then when they get to those
>results, the subcats for Hardware are displayed below Hardware.
>
>Have I explained this well enough?

I'm not sure how to get the category that they clicked on to automatically
expand when they get there.  it might require a code change in the bar_link
subroutine (in /usr/local/interchange/catalog_before.cfg).

But maybe you could work out something using the Interchange Page Link Type
and coding your own search link *and* adding and extra parameter
"expand=[box-code]".  But I'm not sure that "[box-code]" would expand
properly into the category ID you need.

Interesting thought though.  If I find a nice fix, I'll repost it.

Randy Moore
Axion Information Technologies, Inc.

email     ramoore@axion-it.net
phone   301-408-1200