[ic] ic 4.8.3 foundation - speeding searches

DB interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Feb 13 11:54:01 2002

I'm kinda new to IC but I've read the docs and done some mailing list
archive searches. I have my site up and running and am doing some final
tweaks before opening to the public. I'm using MYSQL and Redhat 7.1 and
have something like 40,000 records in my products table and maybe 50
categories.

Searches run pretty fast now, but I want to be sure I'm not overlooking
something simple that would speed things even more. I have 3 questions:

1) I saw in the docs that a few of the fields in the products table are
unused in foundation. Would removing those columns altogether help the
search speed at all?

2) I also saw references in the docs/archives that "indexing" can
improve search speed. Can someone give me a link or quick
howto/explanation of indexing? Mostly I'm doing searches of only the
"comment" field.

3) Which mv_searchtype is best for searches of just the comment field?
Any other hints also welcome of course.

DB