[ic] Verisign PFPRO Transactions Getting Dropped - SOLVED!

John Beima interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 04:30:02 2002

Boy am I tired of seeing this one. (-:

This problem is cause because the IO on your box is to slow... It is the same
thing with the PGP errors.

Interchange uses temp files back and forth for pgp encrypting. PF Pro seems to
use temp files as well... When your IO channel gets a little bogged down, it
can't create the files fast enough for the programs, so it appears to
Interchange like the transaction or the encryption has failed.

Simple solution, repace your IO controllers and hard drives with faster PROPER
drives... Anyone that thinks ATA100 or ATA133 is anything near the speed of SCSI
is dreaming... A standard ATA100 drive can deal with about 500 IOs per second
and ATA RAID makes NO difference... A regual UltraWide SCSI can deal with 3000,
SCSI RAID gets to even around 5000... Not to mention on the SCSI chain EVERY
device can run at once, where as on the IDE chain only one can.

You may also wish to check your CPU load factor, but most likely you wont see it
here. You can try a "vmstat 5" command and watch your "bi" & "bo". This will
give you a closer look at how back logged your box really is.

Simply put, if you have a busy site, you need a REAL server, not some Pentium
III desktop with Unix on it. Tis the cost of doing business.

John Beima