[ic] Re: Recommendation for CA to issue Certs.

Eric Paul interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 17:06:01 2002

At 04:47 PM 2/20/2002, you wrote:
>Barry,
>That is fairly inexpensive to me. If your clients want SSL, you charge
>them for it? Its as easy as that?
>Not everything can be free. You can easily charge clients $100 a year for
>the cert?? or not? We have some smaller ma and pa shops that we host and
>they are even happy to pay that  price? And our larger clients, they could
>care less.
>Nathan

Nathan,

I think you missed the point again.  He was not talking about reselling the
cert (which AFAIK is illegal under the terms of the Verisign license) he's
talking about using a wildcard cert on multiple servers WHICH HE OWNS.  And
I agree, $500 is outrageous for that.  I had looked at getting a wildcard
cert back when they were only a little bit more than 2 regular certs ($250
instead of $200) but have since scaled everything back onto one server for
my internal stuff...  Just too expensive...  Although it would be much more
convenient to SSL-authenticate my mail on the mail server instead of having
to gate it around :P

Eric