[ic] RE: PayPal working with IC?

Wed Feb 20 18:46:01 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Patrick Breitenbach wrote:

PB>>I am not aware that a PayPal module has been developed for Interchange.
PB>>PayPal makes available a generic interface which would support the creation
PB>>of such a module (see paypal.com/pdn). I think PayPal would be an excellent
PB>>payment method for many Interchange merchants and would be happy to assist
PB>>any efforts to develop one.
PB>>-pb-
PB>>
PB>>
PB>>Patrick Breitenbach
PB>>PayPal, Inc.
PB>>650.251.1271
PB>>pb@paypal.com

Yes, I agree with you that it could make it easier for my customers to pay
me.

However, PayPal has established a pricing structure that makes it cost
prohibitive for me.

As I understand it, once I establish a business account with you, you then
take a percentage of all funds coming into my account, regardless of the
source.

I can appreciate the fact that if my customer uses their charge card with
you to pay my bill that you need to collect a fee to offset the discount.
However, my discount rate on my merchant account is considerably less than
what you are charging. As of my last request, PayPal is refusing to block such
transactions.

That's a relatively minor concern. Of major concern is the fact that when a
customer wants to send me money out of funds in his account - that were
perhaps sent to him from another PayPal account, or he mailed you cash, you
want to charge me a commission on that transaction. That is intolerable. For
those reasons I do not make it known that I accept PayPal, and it's only
when a customer specifically asks me that I will give them the instructions.

I keep my volume and transactions low enough that I can continue on with the
personal account. If you force me into a PayPal business account, I will
terminate my relationship with PayPal, unless you revamp your greediness.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 18:40 PM:
Show me a sane man. I'll cure him for you.

This Linux System has been up 1221 hours